Thursday, June 12, 2014

Getting Ready: the countdown is on!

I've put this off long enough. I couldn't sleep last night and woke up this morning with a nervous nausea. It's really happening now!

Lorne (my husband and partner in adventure) and I have been planning to mountain bike the Continental Divide. This 2700+ mile route will have us crossing the Divide 11 times as we make our way from Banff, Alberta Canada, to Antelope Wells, New Mexico. You can view the route here: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/great-divide-mountain-bike-route/

I almost hesitate to say it out loud, and have reluctantly talked about it to friends - not that I'm reluctant to go on this adventure, but I don't want to say anything to jinx it. Dumb, I know, but now just seven days until we hit the road and it's REAL! We will be on the trail itself June 23.

Well, if you've been following along on FaceBook you've seen pictures of our gear preparation. This morning I finally secured transportation to Banff, Canada and hotel reservations for the road trip to our jumping off point. So many questions and concerns from friends and family, so let's address those first.

FAQs
1) What have you done to prepare yourself physically for this trip?
     Pretty much the same thing we've done to prepare for any other "epic" adventure: nothing special. I've got an amazing travel companion with an incredible sense of adventure. A little pain and discomfort doesn't scare us - we know the first week will probably be a little hellish and we're ok with that. (Note to anyone interested: check back in two weeks and see if I'm whining, k?)

2) Will you have cell, emergency service, way to contact civilization?
     Sometimes. If you look at the maps, you'll see that we plan on stopping at campground and in small towns where we hope to have internet access to provide updates. If not, we have a Garmin GPS Spot that you can log in and track our travels. This device also allows us to send an SOS if a legitimate emergency arises. I'll be updating the blog and Facebook with photos and video when possible.

3) Are you taking a gun? bear spray? insect repellent? first aid? butt butter? binoculars? solar panels?
     Don't worry - we've taken a thorough look at our gear and like Santa: we made a list and are checking it twice. Three times, forty times... you get the picture. Lorne always says, "If we forgot something, we'll buy it. If we don't have it or can't buy it, we don't need it." Speaking of which, and this may be TMI: I am definitely breaking down and buying a feminine funnel. I'm not sure the proper name for it, but if you don't know what it is, try looking it up...I don't want to get caught with my pants around my ankles if a bear walks by LOL.

4) If you know my mom, you know I've been given the third degree about this trip. If you haven't asked the question, she already has.

We love our families and friends and appreciate all the support and encouragement!!!  I'll post the GPS Spot link next week when we activate it. Packing for a trial run with all the gear this weekend so I'd better run.

Till next time (which may just be tomorrow),
Mel

2 comments:

  1. You've got this! We are all so excited to keep up with you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO! you two crazy kids! You never cease to amaze me!!! I hope you have the time of your life! Looking forward to lots of pictures and blogs.

    ReplyDelete